When you think of a job in sales, does an image of a car salesman or bombarding voicemails from unknown numbers to your cell phone come to mind?
Well, today, we’re here to dispel the myth that a job in sales, mainly business to business (B2B) tech sales in this context, requires you to be “pushy,” extroverted, and possess experience in the industry thanks to the Milspo Sales Academy.
First thing’s first - what’s the Milspo Sales Academy?
Earlier this year, we hopped on Facebook LIVE with Abbey, co-founder and director of business development at the Milspo Sales Academy. (Fun fact, her brother-in-law, Bob Sheriff, is the CEO and co-founder of the Milspo Sales Academy. There’s nothing quite like a company with family ties!)
Not to mention, Abbey’s a fellow military spouse, so she gave us the lowdown on this awesome program!
In short, it’s a roughly 7-week, self-paced, virtual boot camp program explicitly curated for military spouses looking to land a job as a sales development or business development rep (sometimes, these two terms are used interchangeably in the industry). That said, you can even do it if you have a job already, little kids, or a dog running around because it’s all online!
As for the time commitment? It’s only strict when you’re scheduled to participate in group sessions. If you can commit just a few hours a week to get this done, even an hour each night and some time on the weekend to complete assignments, you’ll be fine.
Here’s how it works:
- When you click the Start Now button and fill out the contact form on this page, the Milspo Sales Academy team will review your information, then ask you to take the Sales Exploration course. It’s a roughly one-week assessment designed to help you learn about the role of business development, the tech sales world, and take some assessments that will give you an idea of whether or not you're a good fit for tech sales and tech sales is a good fit for you.
- If your personality and abilities illustrate that you’re a match for the industry, and you’re interested in upskilling in this industry, you’ll then begin the Milspo Sales Academy Bootcamp! You’ll be placed in groups and have the opportunity to jump on live sessions with trainers who have over 50 years of experience in high-tech sales and business development.
- Throughout this time, you’ll work through three different courses, coaching sessions, and mentorships that will:
- Prepare you, through role-play, and your resume, to fit the skills you have and the job you’re trying to get so you can go into your new career 100% successful
- Turn your soft skills (because, as a military spouse, you have many!) into a neat, marketable package
- Gear you up for a successful interview process
- Teach you how to make connections that inspire people to have a conversation with you
- And, put you miles and miles ahead just from the one-on-one experience as you’ll learn the language and the ins and outs, figure out the tools, and more
Why is a business development rep position ideal for military spouses—both active duty and retired?
For starters, you can work from anywhere and have the flexibility you need for your life. Many of the day-to-day tasks can be done from your phone! From prospecting via email, text, or chat, to networking on LinkedIn, researching, and hopping on Zoom conferencing calls, your work moves with you—whether you’re sitting in the carpool line, at practice, or in the passenger seat on the way to your next duty station location.
Not to mention, a position within this industry involves a lot of researching and prospecting. Basically, those tasks align with what you do before moving to a new duty station! Just think about researching schools. You’re on the phone, searching the Internet, asking around to your connections or friends of friends. You’re a relationship builder! And you have what it takes to be successful in this remote-friendly role.
And we can’t forget the fact that this is a viable career option. It’s not a scam. Military spouses are so preyed upon because we’re so eager to utilize our skillset. The Milspo Sales Academy, however, understands the enormous value you can bring to an organization. And they know their stuff to help you get your remote career in B2B sales off the ground.
Lastly, there are so many positions in B2B sales! The opportunities in this career field are virtually endless, and you can genuinely choose something that aligns with your passions. Plus, it’s a job that translates easily! You might start in business development and find out you enjoy the sales side of things.
What skills and experience do you need if you don’t need to have a background in sales? And what does an average position pay?
You need grit, excellent communication and problem-solving skills, and a willingness to learn.
Sometimes, people get worried about the phone conversations and needing to be able to talk a lot. The Milspo Sales Academy, however, helps you overcome that because, as a B2B business rep, you’re calling professional businesses with something of value for them. They’re excited to hear what it is you have to offer, concisely, because they’re busy, too!
And, upon graduating from the program and embarking on the search for a position to utilize your new skills and experience, the typical salary range will depend on the company—from $45,000 to $80,000, with a mix of base plus commissions in your first year, to $65,000+ once you get a year under your belt. Ultimately, you have the potential to make a commission, even though a salary is involved. You can earn just as much as you put into it.
Here’s what a few Milspo Sales Academy graduates had to say about their experience:
Keep in mind: just one of the three spouses we interviewed had previous sales experience before starting the program!
“You kind of picture a sleazy car salesman, and that’s not what this is. I was lucky enough to, after 30 days of completing the course, secure a role with Instant Teams. You think of a course, and you think that you’re going to sit down, you’re going to read textbooks, and you go back to your college or high school days where it’s like, ‘Okay, I’ve read this book. Now, apparently, I’m supposed to be an expert.’ It’s the complete opposite with the Milspo Sales Academy. You’re exposed to every situation. It gets to the point that at the end of the five weeks, there’s very little that will stump you.”
“The program really held my attention because it was intriguing and a challenge at the same time. Not something I’ve ever done. I’ve had a wide range of positions and jobs at all different places around the world, and this was something new to me...I started the course in April, finished it in May, and accepted an offer for a position in June…”
“I have a background in sales already...this definitely helped me, I would say, improve upon the skills I already had and gave me different techniques as it relates to business development...When I started the course, I was actually pregnant. The Milspo Sales Academy was very supportive...giving me the time I needed to complete the course.”
Want to hear more about their journey and what their days look like as a business development rep? Click here to watch the Facebook Live!
And if you’re interested in diving into the B2B tech sales industry, there’s nothing to lose and so much to gain by visiting MilspoSalesAcademy.com.